Realizing the void that exists between the local community and their limited opportunities to reach available amenities for high quality educational science related activities and programs, Petrosains Playsmart was conceptualized.
Petrosains Playsmart started small, our first 2 centers, Petrosains Playsmart BKE first opened in April 2003 and Petrosains Playsmart Langkawi in June 2003 both measuring about 1,500 square feet in size. Over the years we have evolved structurally and also in terms of what we are able to offer.
Now we have 3 Petrosains PlaySmart (Johor Bahru, Kuantan, Kota Kinabalu) with each center boasting about 3,500sq feet to 9,000sq feet in exhibition area size. From a meager number of programs offered we now implement 26 different types of programs which involve a wider spectrum of audience.
Petrosains Playsmart throughout the years had managed to establish excellent working partnerships which have helped us develop and grow. Notably the partnership with Perbadanan Perpustakaan Awam Johor (PPAJ), Unit Sains Teknologi dan ICT NegeriJohor (USICT), Perbadanan Perpustakaan Awam Pahang, Perpustakaan Negeri Sabah, Ministry of Education, and the various State Education Departments who share the same commitment towards the community as us.
In the long run, we hope to bridge the gap between science and the community. Petrosains Playsmart hopes that science does not only exist in schools, libraries, laboratories et all but rather science lives prosperously in our everyday lives.
• Improved literacy in science and technology among local community
• Strong awareness and appreciation of science as part of everyday life
• Increased involvement of families and communities in strengthening science to children and students alike
• Reinforce PETRONAS commitment to the local community where it operates
• Application of science programs in schools and the utilization of the hands on, minds on and hearts on approach in everyday life