About DinoTrek 2
Lived : 95 - 90 million years ago
Period : Late Cretaceous
Length : 18 meters
Height : 5 meters
Weight : 4,000 kilograms
Diet : Carnivore
Fossils Found : Egypt, Morocco
Meaning - Spinosaurus means "spiny lizard" because it had large bony spines on its back
Pronounced - SPINE-O-SAWR-us
Named By - Ernst Stromer von Reichenbach
When Named – 1915
Carnivore (meat-eater). Spinosaurus probably ate plant-eating dinosaurs and large fish.
Length - 40 - 50 feet (12-15 m) long
Weight - 4 tons or more
When it lived
Late Cretaceous period, about 97.5-95 million years ago
Where it lived
Fossils have been found in Egypt and Morocco, Africa.
Incomplete fossils have been found, including blade-like neural spines up to 6 feet (1.8 m) long. The original fragmentary fossil specimen from Egypt (found in 1912) was destroyed in World War 2.
Spinosaurus' sail may have been for heat dissipation - it lived in a swampy environment near the equator during the warm Cretaceous period. The sail may have also been used to attract mates or seem bigger than it was.
- Kingdom Animalia (animals)
- Phylum Chordata (having a hollow nerve chord ending in a brain)
- Class Archosauria (diapsids with socket-set teeth, etc.)
- Order Saurischia – lizard-hipped dinosaurs
- Suborder Theropoda - bipedal carnivores
- Tetanura - advanced theropods
- Family Spinosauria - huge Cretaceous period predators with crocodiIe-Iike jaws and neural spines forming a sail
- Genus Spinosaurus
- Species S. aegyptiacus (type species named by Stromer, 1915)